Become a Member Church
Joining the Lutheran communion of churches
Churches wishing to apply for LWF membership must
- formally accept the doctrinal basis of the LWF
- be an autonomous body
- consist of more than one local congregation
Please get in touch with the Regional Secretary responsible for your region about a membership inquiry.
The LWF has 149 member churches, including two associate member churches, ten recognized churches and congregations, and two recognized councils.
LWF membership represents over 77 million Christians in the Lutheran tradition in 99 countries across the globe.
Membership Application Procedure
A church applying for membership shall submit to the General Secretary:
- a completed application form;
- minutes of the church's appropriate decision-making body evidencing that
- the church accepts the LWF Constitution and wishes to apply for membership;
- the constitution of the church;
- a brief statement of the history and background of the church;
- such other information as the General Secretary may require.