LWF Myanmar serves people since 2008. The organization works in the poorest, most marginalized, and vulnerable parts of the country and among those affected by conflict, displacement, natural disasters, and injustice. LWF Myanmar is a people-centered, rights-based, and value-driven Country Program. In 2021, the LWF Myanmar supported more than 508,000 individuals to have access to sustainable livelihoods and to use the natural resources of the community through participatory processes. It also helped to improve the authorities’ capacity to effectively manage sustainable development. In response to the COVID-19 crisis, LWF Myanmar provided face masks and hygiene kits to staff members and partner communities organized awareness campaigns, and supported local health authorities.
What we do
LWF Myanmar is implementing its 2019 - 2024 Country Strategy, in line with the LWF and Department for World Service strategies for the same period. The work of LWF Myanmar relies on three programmatic areas: Livelihoods, Quality Services, and Protection & Social Cohesion. Systems and practices for quality programming are implemented at the individual, community and institutional levels in an integrated manner and in consideration of the humanitarian, development, and peace nexus.
Update: 19 January 2023
Youth empowerment through economic independence: Follow the story of Naw Zar Zar Htwe, a young woman from Kayin state, Myanmar, who, with LWF's support, became a seamstress and fashion designer.
Our work in Myanmar
Partners and donors
- ACT Church of Sweden
- Australian Lutheran World Service (ALWS)
- Bread for the World
- Canadian Lutheran World Relief (CLWR)
- Church World Service (CWS)
- Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Australia (DFAT)
- Diakonie Katastrophenhilfe (DKH)
- Evangelical Lutheran Church of America (ELCA)
- FinnChurch Aid (FCA)
- LWF - German National Committee (GNC)
- Global Affairs Canada (GAC)
- Finnish Evangelical Lutheran Mission (FELM)
- Swiss Confederation - Federal Department of Foreign Affairs
- United Church of Christ
- United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- World Food Programme (WFP)
Photo: LWF Myanmar/Isaac Kyaw Htun Hla