Phase 1 of this journey of discovery began as participants from across the communion gathered for a consultation on the theme ‘We Believe in the Holy Spirit: global perspectives on Lutheran identity,’ hosted by the Ethiopian Evangelical Church Mekane Yesus (EECMY) in Addis Ababa in October 2019.
Phase 2 took place in 2020-2021 by deepening theological reflection on key issues raised at the Addis Ababa consultation. It included a series of monthly ‘Being Lutheran’ webinars which brought together participants from all regions to share insights from their different cultural contexts.
- Webinar series
- Webinar 1 | 1 July 2020
Theme: How we can perceive God's work in the world around us, and experience that presence of the Holy Spirit as a gift and a promise
- Professor Niels Henrik Gregersen, from the University of Copenhagen
- Rev. Dr Beverly Wallace, Associate Professor of Congregational and Community Care, Luther Seminary
- Webinar 2 | 5 August 2020
Theme: Forming and Informing: We will explore the importance of a transformative relationship between theological education and the spirituality of life together, as we cultivate faith
- Rev. Marcia Blasi, Faculdades EST, Brazil
- Sister Nicole Grochowina, Communität Christusbruderschaft Selbitz
- Webinar 3 | 20 September 2020
Theme: Our Indigenous and Lutheran traditions
- Rev. Rebecca Maduli Kurubai, Maasai pastor and doctoral candidate at Tumaini University Makumira, Tanzania
- Ms Risten Turi Aleksandersen, General Secretary of the Sami Church Council
- Rev. Joann Conroy, President of the American Indian and Alaska Native Lutheran Association, Lakota Sioux Nation
- Webinar 4 | 7 October 2020
Theme: Spirituality: the real presence of God’s Spirit in word, sacraments, liturgy as performative theology and dialogical aesthetics, and a dive into mysticism as part of the Lutheran tradition
- Rev. Dr Kirsi Stjerna, California Lutheran University
- Webinar 5 (COMING SOON) | 4 November 2020
Theme: Every call is holy: we will reflect on the concept of the priesthood of all the baptized, and how this notion equips us to live out our faith in a divided world.
- Rev. Caroline Christopher, Arcot Lutheran Church
- Webinar 6 | 2 December 2020
Theme: Spiritual gifts and discernment: Discerning the spirits of our age: 1 Corinthians 12 and Love as the measure of charisms, and moral discernment
- Rev. Dr Simone Sinn, Professor of Ecumenical Theology, Ecumenical Institute at Bossey, WCC
- Rev. Atahualpa HERNANDEZ, Bishop President, Evangelical Lutheran Church of Colombia
- Webinar 7 | 13 January 2021
Theme: The young theologians of the Addis consultation.
- Ms Novrianna Hutagalung, HKBP
- Rev. Kagiso Morudu, ELCSA
- Ms Sofie Halvarsson, Church of Sweden
- Mr Christopher MacDonald, ELCIC
- Mr Sebastian Madejski, Evangelical Church of the Augsburg Confession Poland
- Webinar 8 (COMING SOON) | 3 February 2021
Theme: The Real Presence: on virtuality and digital church in times of COVID-19.
- Deanna A Thompson, Director of the Lutheran Center for Faith, Values, and Community; Martin E. Marty Regents Chair in Religion and the Academy
- Dr Andreas Wohle, Evangelisch-Lutherse Synode in de Protestantse Kerk
Phase 3 is building on that global conversation about Lutheran identities through a survey, sent to all member churches, to understand how baptism, belief and practices shape the ways Lutherans live and witness to their faith in their diverse contexts.