Welcoming the Stranger, Living as Neighbors
8 Apr 2022
Webinar on faith actors working together to welcome refugees and build inclusive societies
More than three million refugees from Ukraine crossed borders into neighboring countries in the first month following Russia’s invasion. Although much media attention is now on Europe’s response to the crisis, we must remember that 85 percent of the world’s refugees are currently still hosted by developing countries. The number of those on the move, both in Europe and other countries impacted by conflict and the climate crisis, adds daily to over 80 million people who have already been forcibly displaced worldwide.
Islamic Relief Worldwide, HIAS and the Lutheran World Federation, in collaboration with partners including A World of Neighbors, Finn Church Aid, Network for Traditional and Religious Peacemakers, and Faith to Action Network, have committed to strengthening faith-based responses to the world’s unprecedented refugee crisis.
The 2021 Global Refugee Forum report highlighted the joint pledge of the LWF, IRW, and HIAS as a significant effort that will enhance shared responsibility. The report also described the advantages faith-based organizations have in carrying out advocacy activities and implementing responsibility-sharing locally, thanks to their global reach and representation on the ground.
During this holy season of Ramadan and one week before Good Friday and Passover, join the leaders of these global Christian, Jewish, and Muslim organizations to reflect on ways to support faith actors in refugee response and building inclusive societies.
- Rev. Dr Sivin Kit, Program Executive for Public Theology and Interreligious Relations, The Lutheran World Federation.
- Mohamad Elsanousi, Executive Director, Network for Traditional and Religious Peacemakers
Conversation with Leaders
- Rev. Anne Burghardt, General Secretary, The Lutheran World Federation
- Mark Hetfield, President, Chief Executive Officer, HIAS
- Waseem Ahmad, Chief Executive Officer, Islamic Relief Worldwide
- Anna Hjelm, Program Director, A World of Neighbors
- Peter Munene, Executive Director, Faith to Action Network
Registration Deadline: 8 April 2022